Monday, January 24, 2005

Talk to you next time.

Multiple choice.

You delete names off your Yahoo Messenger list because:
a.) They never reply because they're non-existent (because you've typed in the wrong Yahoo ID.)
b.) They never reply because they never log in.
c.) They never reply because they've deleted you off their list (because they've forgotten who you are.)
d.) They are never ever gonna reply because they've passed away.

A lot of people delete names off their YM list for the main reason that they're merely wallpaper and taking up space in their list, thereby making their scroll bar excruciatingly small.

I never thought option d will apply to me.

Marvin passed away last Saturday while undergoing testing. He had leukemia, and he found out about it only last November, at the time when he was busy with his event. He was 23.

I never really met him, I just talked to him through YM and through phone only while we were arranging our company's sponsorship. Unfortunately, neither did I see him when I visited the event. The whole time I was YM-ing him, he seemed nice and had the utmost concern for his event -- posting his site's url and a countdown to the big day on his YM status. He was totally excited and nervous like an expecting parent. I remember recommending the event to my boss because his proposal said that the event was to raise money for charity. Seventy-five thousand banner ad impressions in exchange for Web Media Sponsorship. Logo and name inclusion in promotional materials, organizer's website, banner display at the venue, live acknowledgment during the event.

We kept in touch after the event, dropping some hi's and hello's through YM. Based on the Message Archive, the last thing we talked about was bad weather and why we had to come in to work when everybody else could stay home.

I greeted him Happy New Year when I got back after Christmas break.

And I never got a reply.

He went into the hospital for blood and organ testing last January 10. He went in.
Never came out.

It's sad to think that his name on my YM list will never light up again.

And I don't know if I can delete his name off my Yahoo Messenger list.

But then, even if I can, I don't think I will.

1 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling...every bit of it. He may have been gone but as long as you keep on to the memories, jo, he'll live on forever.

p.s
don't delete it yet. cherish the thought of it's being there. When you are ready...no matter how long it will take...you can always press that button and let it go.

paw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home