Thursday, September 15, 2005

Confessions of a literature junkie

Stolen from Sarah's blog.
Again.
Because I'm not original.

Total books owned:
Hm..I've always wanted a bookshelf.

Make that three. (If three is too much, that leaves room for more books!)
Include a ladder.

Last book I bought:
Trip to Quiapo: A Scriptwriting Manual by Ricky Lee. (Someday maybe you'll see a movie poster entitled, "Brosia: Ang Babaeng Hinde," written by yours truly.)

Last book I read:
I'm currently reading Trip to Quiapo. Before this, I was reading Introduction to Buddhism and Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching that I've downloaded from this site. If you don't consider them books, then I was reading False Memory by Dean Koontz (in limbo, interrupted by Trip to Quiapo.) and Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Reverte (got bored, didn't finish it).

Five Types of Books I Read:
My sis calls them weird. I call them friends. A+B=weird friends. Whatever.

1) Mysteries / thrillers -- take up most of the space in my bookshelf. The Hardy Boys even have their own box. Include the graphic novels.
2) Jeanette Winterson -- I consider this Goddess in a category of her own.
3) Greek Mythology -- must be the Xena thing
4) Classics -- especially the comic book-type Pocket Classics. My favorites are Black Beauty, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Mysterious Island.
5) Biographies -- the light stuff, none of those Hitler and Churchill types

Five books that meant a lot to me:
1) How to Solve a Murder: The Forensic Handbook by Michael Kurland -- I was a CSI geek even before Grissom and the gang came to life. I even bought it for just Php149.50!
2) Stone Monkey by Jeffery Deaver -- Must be the human smuggling that got me hooked.
3) The Hardy Boys Casefiles: The Phoenix Trilogy -- Where Fenton gets "killed" in Kenya and the boys go to Sweden and stumble upon a human smuggling operation...
4) NKOTB: Where's Joe? -- Ok, ok. So maybe I loved NKOTB. This book introduced me to the Mardi Gras Festival and culture of New Orleans. Yeah, Hurricane Katrina brought back memories.
5) Art & Lies by Jeanette Winterson -- Gave me a terrible headache, but inspired me to become a writer (and an even greater literature junkie. I should marry my bookshelf.)
5) Mythology by Edith Hamilton -- I guess I'm just geeky. It even reminds me of my favorite teacher in high school.

Favorite Filipiniana Book:
Trip to Quiapo by Ricky Lee (I'm still on page 39, but I've been loving it since Foreword.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home